A (not at all comprehensive) guide to the portrayals of angels, from Biblical to comedic, and how to research your friendly terrifying representations of divinity. Please note, I cannot vouch for the quality or reliability of all these sources, this is meant to simply be a compilation.
- The Torah / The Christian Bible—the Bible website also has this topical list of references to angels with chapter and verse; this tumblr post discusses angels’ true forms with quotes. In particular, pay attention to the books of Ezekiel, Tobit, Revelations, and some of the chapters of Daniel.
- The Holy Quran—search for Jibrael or Gabriel (this translation has both.)
- The Book of Enoch and Jubilees—apocryphal Jewish works that expand on Genesis, and feature the fall of the Nephilim and the fallen angels.
- At this point you start getting into Jewish mysticism and its ginger stepchild, Kabbalah—the Sefer Raziel HaMalakh (Book of the Angel Raziel) in particular features an elaborate angelology; The Magus, by Francis Barrett is a good guide to Kabbalah as a whole, and The Celestial Intelligencer (scroll down on that page) has a lot to say about angels and planets.
- Aleister Crowley would continue this line of thought in Hermetic magic, particularly in the Book of the Law, where he converses with his Guardian Angel, and the 8th Aethyr in the Vision and the Voice, which describes him.
- In addition, there’s always John Dee and his Elizabethan angel magic as well. The Enochian that Supernatural uses is originally his.
- Encyclopedia articles—Jewish angels, Zoroastrian angels, Thelemite concept of a guardian angel, wikipedia
- his dark materials trilogy (philip pullman)
- good omens (terry pratchett and neil gaiman)
- a wind in the door (madeleine l’engle)
- the vintner’s luck (elizabeth knox)
- the glory days (isobelle carmody)
- daughter of smoke and bone (laini taylor)
- the space trilogy (cs lewis)
- angelology (danielle trussoni)
- skellig (david almond)
- angel fire series (andrew greely)
MOVIES AND OTHER MEDIA
- wings of desire (1987)
- touched by an angel (1994-2003)
- the prophecy (1995)
- michael (1996)
- city of angels (1998)
- dogma (1999)
- constantine (2005)
- supernatural (2005-present)
- gabriel (2007)
- legion (2010)
- angels in late ancient christianity (ellen muehlberger)
- from gabriel to lucifer: a cultural history of angels (valery rees)
- heaven and its wonders and hell from things heard and seen (emanuel swedenborg)
[many thanks to my followers who contributed and this post by dottewa, which helped point me in the right direction when it came to crowley and thelemite literature]